Paweł Kuśmierek, Ph.D.
Ph.D., Nencki Institute of Experimental Biology, Warsaw
M.Sc, Warsaw University
Paweł’s pre-doctoral work concerned the neural substrate of auditory perception and memory in dogs. Using elaborate behavioral tasks he investigated effects of lesions to the hippocampus, rhinal cortex, and auditory cortex on auditory recognition, discrimination, and localization. Also, he participated in studies on the substrate of auditory recognition in rats (during a visit in Malcolm W. Brown’s lab at the University of Bristol), and in construction and programming of auditory behavioral tasks for dogs and monkeys. In 2002/2003, as a Fulbright Junior Research Scholar, he spent 5 months in Dr. Rauschecker’s lab learning auditory neurophysiology techniques. Paweł has written several computer programs for data analysis, behavioral testing, and spike acquisition, including the Fiordiligi/Dorabella spike acquisition system. Currently he is a Research Assistant Professor in Dr. Rauschecker’s lab. He investigates single unit responses to artificial and natural auditory stimuli (including environmental sounds) presented from varied spatial positions. The study is focused on the medial auditory belt fields of the rhesus monkey.
- Ortiz-Rios M, Kuśmierek P, DeWitt I, Archakov DA, Azevedo FAC, Sams M, Jääskeläinen IP, Keliris GA, Rauschecker JP (2015) Functional MRI of the vocalization-processing network in the macaque brain. Frontiers in Neurosci Apr 1;9:113. doi: 10.3389/fnins.2015.00113. eCollection 2015.
- Kuśmierek P, Rauschecker JP (2014) Selectivity for space and time in early areas of the auditory dorsal stream in the rhesus monkey. Journal of Neurophysiology 111(8), 1671-1685. doi: 10.1152/jn.00436.2013. Epub Feb 5.2014
- Tian B, Kuśmierek P, Rauschecker JP (2013) Analogues of simple and complex cells in rhesus monkey auditory cortex. PNAS 110(19), 7892-7897.
- Kusmierek P, Ortiz M, Rauschecker JP. (2012) Sound-identity processing in early areas of the auditory ventral stream in the macaque. J Neurophys 107(4): 1123-1141
- Kuśmierek P, Rauschecker JP. (2009) Functional specialization of medial auditory belt cortex in the alert rhesus monkey. J Neurophys 102(3): 1606-1622.
- Kuśmierek P, Malinowska M, Kowalska DM. (2007) Different effects of lesions to auditory core and belt cortex on auditory recognition in dogs. Exp Brain Res 180(3): 491-508.
- Kuśmierek P, Kowalska DM. (2002) Effect of sound source position on learning and performance of auditory delayed matching-to-sample task in dogs. Acta Neurobiol Exp 62(4): 251-262.
- Kowalska DM, Kuśmierek P, Kosmal A, Mishkin M (2001) Neither perirhinal/entorhinal nor hippocampal lesions impair short-term auditory recognition memory in dogs. Neuroscience 104(4): 965-978.
- Wan H, Warburton EC, Kuśmierek P, Aggleton JP, Kowalska DM, Brown MW (2001) Fos imaging reveals differential neuronal activation of areas of rat& temporal cortex by novel and familiar sounds. Eur J Neurosci 14(1): 118-124.
- Kuśmierek P, Kowalska DM (1998) Effect of experimental setting on learning and performance of Auditory Delayed Matching-to-Sample task in dogs. Acta Neurobiol Exp 58(4): 291-307.